Virtual Masterclass: Putting It Together - Directing a Musical
Powerhouse artists Eric Schaeffer and Matthew Gardiner walk class participants through the process of directing a musical from start to finish. Signature's Co-founder and Artistic Director Eric Schaeffer has directed more than 70 productions at Signature as well as the Tony Award®-winning Million Dollar Quartet, Gigi, Follies, Glory Days and Putting It Together on Broadway along with productions all over the U.S. and the world. Associate Artistic Director Matthew Gardiner has directed and choreographed more than 25 productions at Signature, including the critically acclaimed A Chorus Line¸ Billy Elliot, West Side Story and Sunday in the Park with George, as well as productions across the U.S. and as far abroad as Seoul, Korea. This class is best for those who want to direct musicals, from the local community level through professional productions.
Topics covered in this masterclass include:
- Selecting a show (who, what, where, when, and why)
- Collaborating with designers, production team, actors and musicians
- How to create work habits and practices that work well for you
- Using rehearsal time effectively
- Creating a space where people want to work, feel safe and be honest in
- Advice for tech and preview period
This class is best for those who want to direct musicals, from the local community level through professional productions.